Over 250 million people are visually impaired, with over 80% of cases being preventable or curable. Not only does widespread blindness devastate individual lives, it is also a major obstacle to a country’s economic growth.
Islamic Relief is working in partnership with the Islamic Development Bank to restore people’s sight, prevent vision loss and build the capacity of medical teams across multiple countries where millions needlessly live in darkness.
In total, the programme aims to fulfil the following:
- Perform 100,000 cataract surgeries to restore sight
- Screen 1 million children and provide them with glasses, if required
- Develop 6 glaucoma treatment centres in 6 different countries
- Train 90 eye care specialists and provide 40 scholarships for medical doctors and nurses to specialise in Ophthalmology
- Develop national intervention programmes in four different countries
The Alliance to Fight Avoidable Blindness is composed of multiple partners, each with a unique role in bringing sight to communities where people are living in darkness.
Islamic Relief remains committed to helping the most vulnerable people in the world. You can make a difference to someone’s life with your donation today.
It costs only $100 for a life-changing cataract operation.
Just $100 will give someone the gift of sight.
Donate to our Cataract Appeal and change someone’s life forever.